Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm Runnin' In The Rain

(cue music and Gene Kelly dancing with umbrella, jumping off curb and clicking heels)

All runners have experienced it. You go out for a run. The weather forecast says possible showers. The sky is cloudy but the sun is peaking through. You run a couple miles, far enough that you're pretty well into the run. Feeling warmed up, feeling loose, feeling good. Then the heavens open up and begin dumping the Nile River onto you.

If you decide not to run because there's rain in the forecast, not a drop ever falls. If it's raining when you begin running, it will mist slightly for a few minutes and then stop all together. If it's going to really rain, it's going to happen when you're miles from home. It's inevitable.

Luckily for me, I like running in the rain. In fact, I love running in the rain. It is about the purest form of youthful enjoyment I know. Splashing through puddles like a kid in goulashes. Happily waving at passers-by. Trying to keep my heavy water-logged shorts from falling down. Spinning in circles with my arms spread wide. (OK, I don't actually do that.)

Today was the perfect run in the rain. I set out after class for a quick jaunt along the river. The forecast called for rain in the afternoon to evening hours. It was raining slightly as I left class and ran some errands, but had essentially stopped by the time I was ready to run. True to form, I was just over a mile out when it began spritzing, then sprinkling, then drizzling, then raining, then pouring. Awesome. Others out running seemed shocked and disappointed that it was all of a sudden raining. As if the meteorologists were just kidding when they said there was a 100% chance of rain. As if the dark clouds loitering over the city all day were just there for show.

I relished. I didn't turn around. I never would. Some people I know won't run in the rain, as if they fear melting a la the Wicked Witch of the West. I've yet to melt from getting wet and don't anticipate it ever happening, so I'll keep running in the rain.

The rain came down harder and the wind coming off the river practically blew me sideways. I looked for the first puddle I could find. Splash! As I passed other runners, I smiled gleefully and frantically waved. Many waved and smiled back. "They obviously love the rain too," I thought. I didn't have my iPod so I had only the songs in my head. Conveniently, "Splish Splash, I Was Taking A Bath" began playing on repeat in my head.

Those driving by were surely questioning my sanity, especially as it began thundering as well. A cab driver honked at me, apparently thinking that I was trying to hail a ride. Most people seemed to feel sorry for me. Poor runner girl, stuck out in the rain.

If only they knew I was having the time of my life.

I continued along the river. I went under a bridge and came around a bend in the road. The rain began to let up. I was finally able to look up without raindrops pelting my face. The clouds parted and a sliver of sunshine shone through. I was able to see. The trees were breathtaking- some springy green, some fall-like with reddish-orange leaves, others still bare waiting to bloom until winter is gone for good. Hugging the shore of Kelly Drive were the cherry blossoms; magnificently imperfect branches erupting with perfectly pink flowers, almost too bright to be real. The grass was green like AstroTurf. The glimmer of post-rain sun hit the crests of the river current with near perfect precision.

If I wasn't out running today, I wouldn't have seen this. You never know what you'll see when the rain stops. Like the old saying goes, "if you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain." I'm happy to "put up with it." It lets me bring out my inner child.

After I turned around to run back home, it began to rain again.

So I splashed in some more puddles.

3 comments:

  1. Damn, I go running in the morning and miss all the fun!

    Did you manage to get pelted by any of the hail along the way, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so fun!! i love running in the rain too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love running in the rain. Sounds like a great run with lots of things to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete