Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Worrywarts and Nervous Nellies

The countdown to marathon day is on. It's marathon week and the big day is just four days away. It's around this time that marathoners start worrying about what we eat, drink, wear, do, etc. We want to make sure that we eat enough to fuel our bodies for the race, but not eat anything that we aren't used to or that might upset our stomachs. We need to drink lots so we don't dehydrate while running, but we try to abstain from alcohol, even though it might actually do our nervous minds some good. The stilettos and blister-inducing shoes are thrown aside in exchange for supportive sneakers, all the time, whether they go with our outfit or not. We taper our running routine, doing only short, easy run mostly to keep our mind at ease and burn off excess energy. We make sure we get extra sleep, even if we're not tired. We don't do anything silly or stupid, that could result in broken bones, pulled muscles or any other unwanted blunders. We abandon our typical healthy habits, and now drive instead of walk, take the elevator not the stairs and become veritable couch potatoes for the week.

Before my first marathon, I was an utter nervous wreck for the preceding week. I ate bread like it was going out of style, swore off lettuce, stared at my feet while walking, looked both ways twice before crossing the street. In hindsight, it was ridiculous. No lettuce? Really?

For the dozen or so marathons I've done between that one and now, I've become much less regimented and much less crazy. In fact, I've done some things in preparation that most wouldn't dream of doing. Not that I recommend having two colonoscopies, doing a half Ironman triathlon or getting hit by a bike and nearly breaking your elbow the week before running a marathon, but I'm glad I've loosened up.

For me, the week leading up to this marathon has been oddly different than those in the past. I am, for the first time, training with someone else who I plan to run with on Sunday. I have a specific goal in mind, one that is harder to achieve than "just finishing." I have also trained for this race much more intently and focused than for others. Don't get me wrong, all of these new things are positive, but they have had me more aware than usual. The training has been absolutely fantastic. It's been amazing to see my goals and desires take flight. Especially having a kick-ass running partner to share my runs, stories, injuries, everything.

With just a few days of pre-race preparation left, I'm trying not to make myself crazy. I found myself worrying about the high pollen counts, even though I'm not allergic to pollen. I have already planned the sneaker-coordinated outfits that I'm wearing to work for the rest of the week. I had a massage today with someone other than my usual therapist and made sure to tell her several times to "go easy on my legs." I stayed up later than planned last night because I needed to make granola so I could have my usual breakfast this morning. One of my toenails fell off this weekend and I worried it would cause a problem, but it's a rarity that I have my full complement of nails. Abby and I have sworn off our much loved trail runs for fear that a slip, trip or fall would lead to a twisted ankle or undesired battle scar. I'm drinking so much water that after the forth time I went to the bathroom today, my co-worker asked if I was feeling alright.

Sounds crazy, right? Well, it is.

Runners are certainly a neurotic breed. But at least in my case, I'm aware of it. And I accept it.

2 comments:

  1. I was always going nuts the week before, and then I loosened up alot more when I was running last spring and with my pregnant races, but then doing Boston this year I felt like a rookie, I went nut-o all over again!! Good luck with the next few days - I know you will do great. You're a seasoned bean!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just looking at your list of marathons - SOOooo impressive!!

    ReplyDelete